Early in our travels we concentrated on finding neat out of the way places to camp. That was one of the reasons we stopped at the tiny quaint Mother Neff State Park – Texas’ first. We strived to ‘taste’ a bit of history and Mother Neff did not disappoint us.
Mother Neff State Park was the first official state park in Texas. In 1916 Mrs. Isabella Eleanor (Mother) Neff donated six acres of land for recreation. Her son, Pat M.Neff, was elected Governor five years later. After the death of his mother in 1921, Governor Neff created the Mother Neff Memorial Park – eventually it became the nucleus of the Texas State Park System. Mother Neff State Park, located west of Moody, had grown to 259 acres in Coryell County when it opened to the public in 1937. Private owners deeded some land and Governor Neff added 250 acres.
In the 30’s the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) restored the park to its historical setting. During an excavation in 1935, Indian graves and historic artifacts were discovered. The many shade trees of this quiet park is ideal for camping, hiking, picnicking, and fishing from the riverbank. A junior ranger program encourages children from ages 4-12 to earn a special badge & certificate. Stop by if you are in the area.