Long a popular year-round tourist destination for folks from Southern California, this thriving community offers many activities for winter visitors. Here are a few for the RVing snowbird:
2nd Annual Lake Havasu Vintage Trailer Campout
|See campers like a 1950s Shasta trailer (Julianne G. Crane)|
The Campout will be showcasing dozens of vintage trailers for everyone to check out.
"We love to have the public stop by and see us." says event host Cherri Aiken. "When the open signs are out," people are invited to look inside these vintage rigs.
- Lake Havasu State Park (Windsor Beach)
- Costs: No event fee, however visitors must pay Park Entry Fees: Per Vehicle (1-4 Adults): $15 on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and State Holidays; $10 other days. Individual/Bicycle: $3. Over-Size Parking: $10
- Hosts: Cherri and Mike Aiken; email: email@example.com
London Bridge Model Boat Club's Annual Remote Control Boat Race
|Remote control boat racing (Jennifer Denevan)|
Come on out to the Bridgewater Channel next to the famous London Bridge for the 12th Annual Remote Control Boat Racing event.
"2014's event was the largest gas RC boat race in the country, and with speeds from 60 - 90 miles per hour, proving this is an event not to be missed. Various classes will be racing an oval course in the Channel." Drivers from California, Nevada, New Mexico and Arizona are expected to participate.
"This event is free, so bring your lawn chairs and be ready for two days of a flat-out great time," say event planners. "Best viewing locations will be the island side of the Channel along the walkway and from the London Bridge.
- Schedule: Friday: Practice from noon-5 p.m. Saturday & Sunday: Racing 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Admission: Free
- Website: www.namba19.com
- Contact: Darryl Hamilton email: firstname.lastname@example.org; (916) 616-4996; (928) 566-1761
27th Annual Western Winter Blast Pyrotechnics Show
"The shimmer and sparkle of the annual winter holiday fireworks show is taking place above scenic SARA Park,” boasts the folks at the Lake Havasu City Convention and Visitors Bureau. "New memories with family and friends will be created as the clear desert sky morphs into a spectacular kaleidoscope of colors in honor of the 27th anniversary of Winter Blast."
- SARA Park, 1799 Sara Parkway, Lake Havasu City
- Price: $5/person/day (12 and under free) + $5/vehicle/day
- Schedule: Fireworks start each evening at 5 p.m. and go until 10:30 p.m. nightly, except Sunday (ending at 10 p.m.). The organized show segments are approximately one hour and begin at 7:30 p.m. Thursday-Sunday, with the largest single show being Saturday night. Gates for the show will open at 3 p.m. each day.
- Website: www.westernpyro.org
- Contact: 928-453-3444
31st Annual Lake Havasu Winterfest Street Festival
|Winterfest Street Festival (LakeHavasuBlog)|
Thousands of visitors and locals will be making their way downtown to the 31st Annual Winterfest on McCulloch Blvd. between Acoma and Smoketree. Look for easy access to free parking along Swanson and Mesquite Avenues.
Winterfest offers more than 200 vendors from across the United States features products and services. Browse, watch demonstrations and be ready for "two spectacular days of arts, crafts, clothing, jewelry, home decor, tasty street-food, beer garden, and eclectic entertainment."
- Contact Information:
- The Havasu Chamber of Commerce
- Jeni Coke or Lacey Blount at (928) 855-4115; email: email@example.com
--Julianne G. Crane
--To read more about the RV Lifestyle by Julianne G. Crane and Jimmy Smith, go to RVWheelLife.com